The Annual Bishop’s Appeal of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend includes a funding program to assist less affluent parishes. A Parishes-in-Need Fund Committee met recently to review parish requests for “needy” projects. The committee recommended a total of $201,776.50 be granted to eight parishes for 11 essential projects, enabling them to arrive at a more stable existence.
Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades approved the grants.
“Obviously, we can’t meet every request submitted by the parishes,” said Msgr. Robert C. Schulte, vicar general and chancellor of the diocese. “We have to consider the nature of each request in light of the total needs and financial resources of the parish as well as the other parishes in the diocese requesting funding assistance,” he continued. A total amount of $531.992.20 in requests was submitted this year.
“If all or part of a request cannot be met, often the committee will recommend the parish apply to another fund of financial resource in the diocese or community, or seek other alternatives,” Msgr. Schulte added.
Some funds usually remain in the account for use throughout the year by parishes when a new need arises, Msgr. Schulte indicated. If all the money is not used in 2014, however, it will be carried over and allocated to next year’s Parishes-in-Need fund.
“Hopefully, this money will strengthen these parishes financially, increase their outreach and improve their ability to do the work of Christ,” said Bishop Rhoades.
This year’s allocation of Parishes-in-Need funds brings the amount granted to $5,645,390.50 from the Annual Bishop’s Appeal to parishes in need during the 27 years of the Annual Bishop’s Appeal.
This year’s dispersion and the primary parish projects include:
• Queen of Angels — $7,920 for chimney reduction and repair, and $32,000 to replace the rectory roof.
• St. Joseph — $40,000 to replace the gym roof, and $13,380 for a new program for student assessments, data tracking and academic growth monitoring (hardware and software for teachers).
Fort Wayne area
• St. Patrick, Ligonier — $8,000 to replace bathrooms in the church.
• Holy Cross — $18,000 to replace the sound system in the church.
• St. Adalbert — $28,412 to replace all carpet in the school.
• St. Anthony — $40,000 to replaced sloped roof section of the church.
• St. John the Baptist — $1,731.50 to master key all locks in the school — new locks and $7,033 to replace the intercom in the school.
South Bend Area
• St. Michael, Plymouth — $5,300 to replace garage roof and connecting walkway between the rectory and the church.
The best news. Delivered to your inbox.
Subscribe to our mailing list today.