The Annual Bishop’s Appeal of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend includes a funding program to assist less affluent parishes. A Parishes-in-Need Fund Committee met recently to review parish requests for “needy” projects. The committee recommended a total of $200,002 be granted to eight parishes for 19 essential projects, enabling them to arrive at a more stable existence. The grants were approved by Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades.
“Obviously, we can’t meet every request submitted by the parishes,” said Msgr. Robert C. Schulte, vicar general and chancellor of the diocese. “We have to consider the nature of each request in light of the total needs and financial resources of the parish as well as the other parishes in the diocese requesting funding assistance,” he continued. A total amount of $401,023 in requests was submitted this year.
“Hopefully, this money will strengthen these parishes financially, increase their outreach and improve their ability to do the work of Christ,” said Bishop Rhoades.
This year’s allocation of Parishes-in-Need funds brings to $5,243,949 the amount granted from the Annual Bishop’s Appeal to parishes in need during the 25 years of the Annual Bishop’s Appeal.
This year’s dispersion and the primary parish projects include:
• St. Henry — $5,250 for air conditioning for the building used by the St. Henry’s Thrift Shoppe.
Fort Wayne area
• St. Patrick, Ligonier — $31,240 for construction of a new parking lot.
• Corpus Christi — $25,000 for masonry and stucco repairs to the exterior of the church, $10,000 to replace major water supply, ceiling tiles and removal of asbestos and $3,000 to replace all the thermostats and heating and cooling controls in the church.
• Holy Cross — $36,570 for three new flat roof sections for the Smith Center Parish Office.
• Our Lady of Hungary — $19,000 to convert a room to a classroom, $7,500 to replace thermostats and valves in each classroom, $2,020 to create a window in the resource room, and $2,000 for new blinds for about half of the classrooms.
• St. Adalbert — $12,750 for four new sinks and six hand dryers for the school restrooms.
• St. John the Baptist — $977 for air conditioning repair for the rectory, $3,000 for two four-drawer fireproof cabinets for the school to file student documents and records, $825 for flush valves for toilets and urinals in school to replace leaking or non-functioning valves and $1,870 for repairs to parking lot.
South Bend Area
• St. Monica, Mishawaka — $3,000 for repair of elevator-handicap access lift in the Parish Activity Center, $15,000 for complete restoration and repair of the stained-glass windows in the church, $18,000 for demolition of a parish-owned structure on 611 Elizabeth St. and $3,000 for hiring one to two persons to help with building and grounds maintenance.
The best news. Delivered to your inbox.
Subscribe to our mailing list today.