The newspaper of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend started in January 1926 and was inserted into the Our Sunday Visitor national edition. The first editor was then-Bishop John F. Noll. On December 3, 1972, then editor Msgr. James Conroy hosted a contest to select a new name for the paper. The winning entry, The Harmonizer, was suggested by Msgr. Durkin.
The diocese took over ownership of the newspaper on September 1, 1986 and the name was changed to Today’s Catholic October 26, 1986. Under direction from Bishop John M. D’Arcy, Today’s Catholic began sending complimentary subscriptions to every registered Catholic household in the diocese. A website was created for Today’s Catholic in 1998.
In 2017, Today’s Catholic diversified its news content delivery to include a brand new website, a digital edition, a Facebook page and an app in addition to the printed newspaper available by paid subscription.