Our Lady of Hungary begins 100th anniversary celebration
Our Lady of Hungary in South Bend began its 100th anniversary celebration on Jan. 10. The parish began as a mission church of St. Stephen’s Parish in 1916 when St. Stephen’s pastor, Father Lawrence Horvath, built a church for Our Lady on Catalpa Street near Prairie Avenue. It became an independent parish years later when the present church was built on Calvert Street. Bottom center is the banner for the centennial celebration.
Archbishop Michael Blume (Class of 1960), apostolic nuncio to Uganda, and native of Our Lady of Hungary Parish, receives the gifts at offertory.
Our Lady graduates joined in the 100 Years of Faith Celebration at Our Lady of Hungary Parish of South Bend with Mass and a reception on Sunday Jan. 10. Pictured from left are Father Kevin Bauman (Class of 1974), pastor of Our Lady of Hungary; Jim Highfield (Class of 1962), Michigan State District Deputy for the Knights of Columbus; and Archbishop Michael Blume (Class of 1960), Apostolic Nuncio at Secretary of State, Vatican, presently serving as papal nuncio to Uganda.
* * *
The best news. Delivered to your inbox.
Subscribe to our mailing list today.